Monday, January 1, 2024

Hey You Guys

 I think that most folks have a personal DOAT (Dumbest of all time) word. Mine happens to be, the four-letter word used by, according to my annoyance level, more than any other word in the English Language. 

This word appears in speech, every time a person addresses a group of people. It can be prefaced by the word "you" or not.  In former times this word was used in the presence of a crowd of men only. Now, and that's what annoys me the most, it is used for mixed company or even when addressing a group of folks who identify as female. 

Sometimes, I find myself using it. When that happens, I almost always gag and apologize. Seriously, I think it's use is common and rude.

This four-letter word, sometimes preceded by YOU, is the group word, GUYS. When did we commonly start referring to a group of men and women, or just women, as guys? Where are the flaming liberals on this one? Guys has always been gender specific. While we have been pushing the use of gender-free pronouns, we've pumped up the use of the word GUYS. 

I am not a GUY. I have never been a GUY. And, I do not want to be addressed as a GUY, anymore that I want to be called a Gentlemen or MAN (which we old folks were once taught to mean....humankind.) 

I want it stopped. It's not that hard to use "Ladies and Gentlemen", folks, attendees, participants, guests, students, or whatever group-word is appropriate. Heck, you could even say "Good Morning Humanity". Furthermore, if you are caught up in the LGBTQ-plus movement, the word GUY, should be offensive. 50% percent of the people in this world do not have penises. Give us some credit!!

                                                        ...................................................

Dear Lord. A whole bunch of your folks have causes. Humans care and we strive to be heard. Remind us of the purpose of life. Remind us to do your will, to be kind and above all to be aware of all God's creatures.



No comments: