Thursday, December 23, 2021

Ancestry on a Platter

 One of my interests, this past year, has been genealogy research. My attempts to locate ancestors, on several family trees, have led me to discover people and places, that have been surprising and fascinating. I've located births and burial places of many relatives, at least 4 generations, in the past. In my search, I have learned the difference between 1st cousins, once removed and those cousins who are not. 

My German Immigrant Grandparents, with information supplied to me by a friend and fellow genealogy buff, were actually German speaking Slovakians, from an area close to the Adriatic Sea! My American Indian great-grandmother probably wasn't Indian (my DNA shows no Native American sequences) at all, and I know that I descend from several generations of English coal miners through my maternal grandfather's family. My forbearers were all laborers and peasants. I have no Royal Bloodline, in any country, on any continent.

All of these details are of great interest to me. Much to my dismay, this ancestral enthusiasm has not sparked the same excitement, in most of my immediate family. Our children are less than excited about being the future caretakers, of four huge notebooks, recording our family folly.

Most recently, I have discovered a website of the National Archives (datalog@nara.com), that lists  citizen collections of unusual subject matter.  Among the items cataloged, is a book of Bess Truman's recipes! The recipes are hand written, obviously from Bess's personal cookbook. For years, I have served my family, "Bess Truman's Ozark Pudding", but I honestly didn't know if it actually had anything to do with the former first lady. I just thought it was tasty, easy to make and I always get compliments, especially when it's served with ice cream. 

Well, the first recipe given in this archive was the very same "Ozark Pudding", I've been serving for years. And, Bess, actually suggests that you serve it with ice cream. TA DA. Who knew genealogy could be so tasty?

Great and All Knowing Father. We thank you for being ever present and everlasting. You are our only 
Constant, through the centuries. Your steadfast love endures forever.



1 comment:

Karen said...

Again---you made my day! Thanks for the Ancestral Info, too---love the idea of descending from working people!
Blessings.
YMOOOOS

Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...