Sunday, December 19, 2021

CATASTROPHE.......

 Let it be known that I enjoy all kinds of animals. I loved visiting the Kansas City Zoo, as a child. My favorite animals to watch were the monkeys and the bears. I've viewed animals, in the wild, from the Midwest to the Alaskan glaciers. 

We have a plethora of wild animals in our suburban back yard. Deer transverse our property in herds of up to nine. We have raccoons, groundhogs and turkeys wandering around on a regular basis. We've been the owners of several dogs, but currently, we have no resident pets. 

What we do have, much to my disgust, is a large, multi-generational residency of feral cats. I'm guessing that we have, living in the the mini woods, at the edge of our property, a herd of 30 or more cats. They are everywhere. They climb on our deck, sit on our front porch, peer in our windows and travel across our backyard, so frequently, that they have created a visible "cat path", from North to South (and vice versa) across our back yard. (Did I mention that I am seriously allergic to cats?)

Remember that Dr. Seuss book, The 500 of Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins?  (Just change that H to a C!) Well, I think that is happening to the Kincaids! I used to tap on the window, when I saw one on the path, and it would scamper away. Now, they don't even turn around. This morning, while typing this post, I've seen 3 black ones and two grey ones. 

They are not going anywhere, because we have a neighbor, two doors down, who feeds all the wild animals. As long as she keeps putting out food, they will continue to hang around and travel back and forth, across our yard. I have contacted the city and they are only willing to come and pick them up...if I catch them and pay to have them removed. (Make that 4 black cats, this morning.)

Any suggestions for a humane solution?

Dear Lord: I keep repeating "I shall not want.", and I know that I am blessed. I just wish someone else would be blessed with these cats. 


 



1 comment:

Karen said...

Doesn't sound like fun. Sure beats our ONE Squirrel!

Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...