A Tasteful Season

 


Egg Nog has finally made its seasonal appearance, in our local grocery store. Over the years I have acquired quite a taste for Egg Nog. Not the fluffy, homemade kind, with real eggs and whiskey, but the Pasteurized sweet stuff you find in plastic cartons in the Dairy Section. I put it in my coffee every morning, add it to pancake batter and "doctor up" most anything that normally requires milk. It's great in muffins, in French toast batter and in hot chocolate. Egg Nog Season, from Halloween to New Year's Day, is my favorite time of the year.

I don't feel the same way, however, about pumpkin pie spice. Yes, I know it's popular, and you can get pumpkin pie spiced lattes, ice cream, etc., but, I prefer my pumpkin pie spice, in pie! And even then, I would prefer apple, cherry or even mince meat before a slice of pumpkin. In my humble opinion, the best thing about pumpkin pie is the whipped cream topping!

Cinnamon flavors many holiday foods. Cinnamon is brown and not visually appetizing. But, cinnamon candy is always red.  I've even been known to add "red hot" candies to several of my recipes. They add great color and zip to apples and sauces.

Peppermint, in its many forms, helps us celebrate the holidays. A peppermint stick, in a mug of cocoa, makes it extra special and festive. And, who doesn't like a good candy cane or mint chocolate ice cream?

Please, take the time to enjoy the tastes of the season.


Dear God. We have so many things, for which to be thankful. It's easy to remember to thank You for the big ticket items. But, we need to remember to thank You for the small things, also. Thank you, Lord, for giving me this day. May I remember to appreciate all of my blessings.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll be with you, Shortly.

"Ain't It Funny, how time slips away?"

Dos (As in the number two)