Sunday, April 5, 2020

The Early Years

After nearly seven years, at the same Harry Potter desk (it's located under a staircase), I have enough material to write a really long, and very detailed book about working in a retirement community.
One of the first chapters, will be recounting the particularly quirky mishaps, that occurred when we opened this remarkably beautiful building.
First of all, no one in our area had seen such a stunning building, built for the specific use of our older population. Everyone who entered kept remarking how gorgeous and classy everything looked. We were very proud.
However, there were a few glitches. We had opened the building without a finished kitchen.And in order to meet the dietary needs of our residents, our chef prepared breakfast and lunch for them every day. In the evening, food was carried in, from area restaurants. The restaurant of choice was the Corner Cafe, a local comfort-food place. I became a regular, with my pick-up orders. The cafe staff began to call me by name, and I became the "chuck-wagon" lady, to our residents.
At the same time, several parts of the building were still getting their finishing touches. While sitting at the main floor reception desk, one morning, I heard a burst of profanity and a loud bang, from the floor above. I looked upward, just in time, to see the light fixture above my head start to fill with water. Thinking that the possibility of electrocution was imminent, I hesitated only a moment, jumped up and away from the floating puddle and switched off the light. Immediately, the plastic fixture came loose from the ceiling and what seemed like a bathtub amount of water, dumped on my formerly occupied chair.
I escaped harm. A workman had accidentally broken the water pipe, that fed the Jacuzzi tub, in the 2nd floor, work-out room. He was fine, we mopped up a lot of water and we all had a great story to tell.
It was proving to be a job of a lifetime!

God is good. We are blessed.


1 comment:

Karen said...

This sounds like a fun saga with lots of stories to follow. I'll be waiting for further tales to spring up here frequently...

History buff, Karen

Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...