Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Good Morning, this is Nancy. How may I help you?

How many languages do you speak? If you are like most Americans, you "had" to take a foreign language at some point in your academic history. I took two years of French in high school, and one semester of college level French. Unfortunately, I speak French like a two year old.....a word here and a word there. I am never going to improve my second language  skills.
As time passes, however, I truly believe that more and more Americans are unable to properly speak their first language......English.
I have several colleagues who answer the phone by simply saying, "Hey." That, in my opinion, is rude. So, when I hear, "Hey." I don't reply. I wait for them to make another choice of greeting. I realize that I risk the chance of hearing something even more rude or flip, but that is the choice I make. Hay belongs in a field, but if you are reading this blog.....you already know that!
A few of my superiors have chided me when I have expressed my concerns about the use of proper English. They say proper English is old-fashioned, and nobody cares a hoot about grammar, anymore. I'm going on record as believing that people do care how they are addressed. And, those people speaking should want to appear as intelligent and as smart as they would like to be perceived.
So, if someone should axe me, "Like, uh, uh, like where did you go to school at?" Please, do not expect a response.

Holy Lord: I am thankful for all of the wonderful teachers who cared about me and all of their students. I appreciate my many blessings. Remind me to keep trying to improve Your world. Also, give me the patience, to retain a sense of humility.



Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...