Sunday, June 11, 2017

Never Say Never

Years ago, I vowed I would never, ever have one of those "ugly a**, you all know the type, recliners in my living room".
I don't know whether my children remember, but their father and I had a very heated argument, in a furniture showroom, over the purchase of one such chair. It was quite a scene, and it involved a few tears, accompanied by some loud, unkind remarks, directed at my in-laws.
My husband's father and mother had given us a couple of hundred dollars to purchase a recliner. They thought  their son needed one, in our living room. Well, I did not want one, in my living room. Those chairs were ugly. They had no style. I did not want a big, ugly piece of furniture, any place in my house, and I didn't care who knew it.
We, my husband and I, eventually settled on a recliner, for him, in our downstairs family room. His parents were not pleased, but my spouse and I stayed married.
Last month, I purchased, by myself  and by my own volition, a recliner for our living room. My husband deserved one. He likes it. It is not ugly, it is beautiful. It's leather and it cost an arm and a leg, but by golly, it's a recliner.
I am a woman. I can change my mind.

God. You are a marvel. You love us, know matter what crazy things we do. Show us how to curb our pride and prejudice. Teach us how to do Your will. We praise Your Holy Name.

No comments: