Tuesday, February 24, 2015

R.I.P.

A celebrity from my teenage years passed away last week. I read about it, took note of the event, and to tell you the truth, I promptly forgot about it.
Then in a recent conversation, one of my much younger colleagues made a comment about her hair. Young women talk a lot about their hair. Older women talk about other things like I.R.A.s and out-of -control grandchildren and Medicare. Young women talk about hair, hair dressers, hair color and hair products.
My young friend stated that although she wanted to cut her hair, her significant other didn't want her to do it. So, of course, she admitted, she didn't have it cut.
Wow! I had an "A-Hah" moment! A lightening bolt of understanding and knowledge!
What would Leslie Gore say? Well, you know what her reply would be.
"You Don't Own Me." "Don't tell me what to say and don't tell me what to do."
It's hair for gosh sakes. It's temporary. It will grow back. Stand up and grow up, girlfriends!
What happened to Feminism, young women? You have the vote!
 "It's my Party and I'll Cry If I Want To.", by golly. Take charge of your young lives, before you get to old to regret it.
R.I.P. Leslie.

Grand and glorious God. You gave us free will. Praise You, we have minds. Help us make good choices and help us to do the very best we can with our lives. We are so blessed.
Amen.

No comments: