Friday, February 13, 2015

Just a minute.

If each day lasts 24 hours, why do some of them seem longer than others? I don't have the answer to that question, but sometimes I wish I did.
Today seemed particularly long. I began looking at the clock above my desk around 3 p.m., hoping my 8 hour work day would end soon. Tiredness had set in. I began to think that four thirty would never come. The end of the work week was minutes away. I'd had enough of this particular  work week. It was Friday, and the weekend was near.
Quitting time came. I punched the time clock, dragged my tired body to the car, and drove home. I opened the front door, chatted a few minutes with my spouse and began to cook dinner.
Between boiling the rice and sauteing the salmon, I looked out our back window and saw eight young deer, grazing on our back lawn. Those deer were having a delightful time enjoying their feast of bushes and tall weeds.
As I watched the informal gathering, I realized that perhaps God was showing me those deer for a specific reason. Those animals were not worrying about what had happened at work today or what might happen on Monday. Maybe God was telling me to put myself in the "present". The opposite of stress is putting oneself in the present. Don't worry about the past or be concerned about the future.
"Consider the lilies of the field...."

Great God. Why do we focus on the negative? Why do we worry?We have so many blessings. Our troubles are so insignificant and really not worth the worry. Help us to live in the present. Help us to live our lives in the best way possible. Open our hearts and our minds to your will.

No comments: