Thursday, April 3, 2014

What, me worry?

Remember the Franklin Delano Roosevelt quote? " The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."? Well, I remember it and I believe that fear is a huge probelem for many of us.
Fear often consumes a great deal of our time. When we are afraid and worry about what might happen, it takes up our time. Fear is a tremendous time waster. And, time spent on worry can never be regained.
It doesn't do us any good to worry.When we spend time worrying about the worst case scenario, it rarely helps the situation. Often, the effect of our worrying does not change the eventual outcome, one tiny little bit.
The other night I couldn't sleep, because I was worried about the future. What did my lack of sleep do for me? Nothing, except make me tired the next day. Most problems, including mine, cannot be solved in the dead of night. Why did I waste the time worrying? A good night's sleep might have given me a much better perspective on my problem!
I have a friend who worries about the weather. She is consumed by the fact that her home might flood or a tornado might come or she might get snowed in. These things have never happened to her, but she continues to worry.
Jesus told us not to worry. The seasons come. Life continues. Just, count your blessings and quit worrying. It won't help.

Dear Lord: We are blessed in so many ways. Hold us in your loving arms and help us to realize that your steadfast love endures forever. Our problems are insignificant. Your mercy is great.

No comments: