Sunday, January 22, 2012

Gone in a few seconds.......

I have a one-block friend. She boards the Metro at 10th and Grand, and I disembark the Metro, one block later, at 11th and Grand. Nearly every week-day, we share just one block of travel time.
I've already been riding for 10 minutes, when she boards the #30 bus. Then, I think, she continues her commute along the southerly path of the #30. After that one block along Grand Avenue, I get off the #30, and walk a block West to make a connection with the northbound #142, at 11th and Walnut.
Every afternoon, I look forward to seeing her and I know the bus driver does, too. My friend makes it a point to greet the driver every day with a smile and what seems to be a heartfelt inquiry about the state of his day. That extra bit of personal interaction shows me that my one-block friend is really special.
I'll bet she just makes our driver's day. I know she makes mine.
Then, she sits down and greets me. It's obvious that she is tired. I don't know what she does at her job, but it must be hard work. I always return her greeting and generally we exchange short comments about the weather or how our work days went.
There isn't much time, in one block, to say much.
I don't know her name, but I know that I miss her when she doesn't board at her usual stop.
Maybe, one day soon, I'll just travel along with her in the wrong direction of my commute, just to get to know her a little better. Friendly people are a very special blessing, these days.


Gracious Lord: I want to be a better person. Sometimes it isn't easy to look outside our own worries and problems in order to be a friend and confidant of others. Teach me to be a better friend to all with whom I come in contact. Take away my whining nature and allow me to concentrate on the positive.....at all times.
Come into my life and show me how to see YOU in everyone I meet.
I am so blessed.

1 comment:

Johanna said...

I also appreciate friendly people! They make such a difference!