Friday, February 3, 2012

You Speaka Spanish?

Every day, I try to improve my knowledge of Spanish......just a word or two. Today, I spent the morning hours attempting to enroll new students at our school. Most of the prospective students were native Spanish speakers. I was able to use words like enscripcion, telophono, direcion, and primero. (enroll, telephone, address, and first)
Believe me, as the morning went on, I was getting pretty proud of myself. Soon, I thought, I'll be fluent in Spanish. No more, habla Espagnol poquito, senora!
Then, it dawned on me that my Spanish knowledge consisted of about 40 nouns, half of which I couldn't spell correctly. My fluency is about that of a two-year old. In order to label myself fluent, I'm going to have to put together, at the very least, a sentence or two. And learn how to spell, on top of that. Fluency requires pronouns, verbs, correct tenses of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives, etc.
Oh, my I have a long way to go.

Oh, Lord. Save us from the sense of false pride that often tends to be our downfall. Keep us aware that by putting our trust in you and your goodness, we will always be served in our times of need.
Open our eyes so that we can see the wonder of your infinite knowledge and make us aware of the inadequacy of our tiny minds. We ask for your guidance.

No comments: