Thursday, September 8, 2011

Please and Thank You

In the past year, I have learned quite a bit about my fellow human beings from different cultures. Most folks, it seems, do react kindly when kindness is done to them. Somalis will smile when you smile at them. Dominicans and Haitians get a kick out of a good joke, and I am acquainted with a Vietnamese woman who likes to give me hugs.
But, I am amazed at the number of 100% natural Americans who have forgotten the rules of common decency. Some of the people, that I interact with every day, just refuse to say "please" and "thank you". They don't ask. They demand.
That kind of behavior is not nice and I don't appreciate it. My father had a great line that he used to use on me when my manners weren't quite up to his standard. It was "Were you born in a barn? "
Some of the immigrants and refugees that I know, weren't even born under any kind of roof, but their manners are a whole lot better than some of those who were born in an immaculate maternity ward. In fact, you all know of one man, who was born in a stable........

God. I hope people remember to say "thank you" to their creator. I'm thinking that they probably don't. Anyway, thanks a lot. We are blessed.

No comments: