Friday, July 15, 2011

The Question Is???????

I had the opportunity all this week to teach English to some recent immigrants to the United States. Yesterday, we were cruising right along with our lesson, when we reached a major roadblock. Six blank stares...and their under-trained teacher terrified over just what to do next.
Just then, something from back in my grade school days came bubbling up into my small brain. I recalled a teacher saying "all questions begin with the same 5 or 6 words." Could that be true in all languages?
So, we began talking about WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY,and How (much)? My four Spanish speaking students responded immediately. Que, Quien, Cuando, Donde and Porque? The Sudanese(Arabic)student understood and responded accordingly. The Eritrean (some language that begins with a T) student got it, also.
My lesson was successful. What a breakthrough for all seven of us.

All Knowing God. Not a day goes by when we do not experience your help and guidance.
Help us to recognize your presence. You are all-powerful and all-knowing. We are your children and we need your help. We can't do this life on our own. Stand beside us.

No comments: