Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Drumthwacket

It is possible to learn many things from a cross country car trip. Most people prefer to make long trips by airplane these days, but pat-downs and extra baggage costs are not on my list of favorite travel moments.
Traveling by car, offers unique and varied experiences. The brochures at State Highway Rest Stops (well everyone has to rest)fascinate me. I want to look at every one. Those leaflets make me realize that there is still so many things I want to see in this country. And, Rest Stops generally give away maps. Checking out the names of cities and towns, rivers and streams, lakes and colleges can keep me occupied for hours. Did you know that most of our 50 states have a town or city with the name Springfield?
Then, of course, there are the "what the heck was that" moments which always occur on a road trip. Something catches your eye, as you travel past it. And, you wonder if you really saw what you thought you saw.
Driving through Princeton, New Jersey, I saw a sign emblazoned with the word Drumthwacket. What????? I figured it was likely an Indian word. New Jersey has a bunch of those. But, I was stumped. Who or what is a Drumthwacket?
Thanks to the miracle of the Internet, I discovered that Drumthwacket is the residence of New Jersey's Governor. The land was once owned by William Penn, founder of the Pennsylvania Colony. It was also the site of a Revolutionary War Battle. New Jersey purchased it in the 1960's, and after a massive renovation in the 1980's, it became the Governor's Mansion.

Wondrous Lord. I am thankful for this amazing country. I stand in awe of all that you have created. Help me to keep my eyes and heart open to your glorious world.

No comments: