Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bass Ackwards

Today my task at work was filing. We had lots of student files to pull, fill with new papers, and refile. For most people it's a very simple and routine job. But for me, it's the most difficult thing I do.
You see, I am alphabetically dyslexic. I don't know if that is a real condition, but it describes my condition perfectly. I have definite alphabet issues.
When I was 2 or 3, and just beginning to talk, my grandfather taught me to recite the alphabet backwards. He thought the two of us were very clever. And, to this day, I can rattle off my z,y,xs as fast as my a,b,cs. People are always amazed at this skill of mine. It makes for great party conversation.
However, my alphabet talent makes me unable to rapidly alphabetize, quickly look up words in the dictionary or encyclopedia. I have real trouble with phone books and most of all filing.
It isn't all my grandfather's fault, although most of it is. I should have told all of those sweet teachers about my issues. Some of them would have probably let me do my papers backward, or taught me some way to get those 26 letters going the right way in my head.
Instead, I have suffered in silence, knowing that I'll never really inherently know if it is pqrstuv or vutsrqp.

God, grant us wisdom and courage. Life seems to be a struggle sometimes. We get caught up in what we can and cannot do and with what we have and haven't got.
Teach us to be more accepting, more patient and more kind with ourselves and others.

No comments: