Monday, March 7, 2011

Lenten Lint

Different Christian Denominations have different ideas about Lent. I'm okay with that. Disagreement is the reason we have many denominations in the first place. Luther thought the Catholics had it wrong. Wesley thought the Church of England had it wrong. And, on and on and on.
As I child, I tried to give up candy for Lent, and I never succeeded in getting through the 40 days plus weekends, without eating some. Too much of a sweet tooth and chocolate has a powerful pull. Then, as an adult I began to focus on bettering myself and adding something new to my spiritual life, during the Lenten season. I decided it was a much more realistic approach. After all candy isn't good for you in the first place.
Our new place of worship is a "giving up for Lent" type of church. So, I'm keeping my "adding things for Lent" opinion to myself. But, you can rest assured that I will be doing some reading and studying in the next few weeks.....and eating CANDY!!!

Oh Lord. We are preparing. Lent comes every year. Help us to reach our goals to become improved Christians.

No comments: