Monday, January 24, 2011

"And the skies are not cloudy all day."

My home state, Kansas, has a birthday this week. She's 150 years old, which isn't very old, of course, when you compare her to the really old states of New York and Rhode Island. But, believe me, I'm thinking Kansas is pretty darn old, because I remember the big celebration when she turned 100.
Back in 1961, I marched as a high schooler, in a parade to honor the Centennial of the Sunflower State. I remember witnessing the speeches and all of the hoopla. I seem to recall it was quite a big deal. There were time capsules unearthed and new ones buried. New songs were written, played and sung. Streets were renamed or created with the name "Centennial." Our classmate animated a cartoon movie entitled "The Kansas Kitty".
All of that was fifty ago, which is so hard for me to believe.
Time flies. It really does. And, it flies whether or not you are having fun!

"I was born in Kansas. I was bred in Kansas. And when I get married I'll be wed in Kansas. There's a true blue (Crimson and...) guy, who promised he would wait. I'm his Sunflower from the Sunflower State." Rock Chalk, Jayhawk. KU.

Holy Lord. We are truly thankful for whatever time we have. Our blessings are great and our burdens are small. Teach us to use our time wisely. Guide us along a path that will allow us to experience the richness of life and to savor your great universe. We are thankful for our years of life.

2 comments:

Nancy K. said...

You can take the girl out of Kansas, but you can't take Kansas out of the girl!

Dave said...

Kansas only has one problem. It's sitting right next to Missouri....how can we expect it compete with that?! :)