Monday, January 17, 2011

Letting go and letting God

Along about the time your child turns two, you began to realize that you cannot make every decision for for him or her. All through the growing up years, one of the hardest jobs to do, as a parent, is to stop rushing in to try to "save" your kids from making choices that you know are going to be disasterous for them. I'm not saying that you should let your 2 year old ride his bike down the middle of the street (if you can help it). But, when your nine year old insists on wearing his roller blades, indoors and out, on pavement or grass, in sunshine and snow...who is it going to hurt? Only the kid when he falls down, (I did tell him that roller blades were never intended to work on sledding hills coverd with ice, but I knew he was going to try it anyway.) will he know he made the wrong decision.
So, kids, don't be too hard on the old folks. We're not perfect. We have made a lifetime of decisions, good and bad. So, you think it's hard now, chasing after that toddler or teenager, but believe me, you haven't tried anything yet.

God, will you give each of us, no matter what our age or stage in life, the wisdom of silence? Help us to keep our opinions to ourselves, especially if what we say will cause lasting hurt to others. Let us rejoice in the decisions of our children, friends and even those whom we chance to meet.
Remind us that Your wisdom will prevail and that all good things come from You.

3 comments:

ligooshka said...

How true! In Russia, we say: Little children - little problems; big children - big problems.
The funniest thing is we never learn the lesson of listening to our parents' advise as kids, and now, as grown ups, we hardly have patience/wisdom to listen to them at all.
The paradox is that as much as we want our kids to listen to us, the less we want ourselves to listen to those who are wiser than us.
Sandwich generation is struggling being parents, while continuing being children. May God bless us with the wisdom and patience.

Dave said...

I'm taking a break from chasing a two year old right now. Boys are a pain! Macy has always been easy to reason with....Ace reminds me of a mule. :) I'm probably an odd duck in that I always knew my dad was right, even when I didn't take his advice. Some mistakes you just have to make on your own.
Thanks for stopping by my new site and for the kinds words. Time and money seem to be hard for people to let go of....I think I see the boy hanging from the dining room light, I should probably go!

ligooshka said...

When my 3 years old granddaughter comes to visit, I get into the same mode watching her all her waking hours. I don't know how my daughter handles her 24/7. In the evening we all end on the sofa exhausted.
Our salvation this time was Alisa's passion to ballet. The whole family watched Bolshoi Opera's Swan Lake for hours and days and we could relax, otherwise we would be all chasing her around the house.
We had the best Christmas this year because we watched the ballet and my Alisa dancing ten days on the row. It was a great idea to get her a tutu for Christmas and ballet shoes.