Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"WE GATHER TOGETHER"

Today, my friends and I gave away Thanksgiving Dinner to nearly 1500 families. That's 1500 turkeys, 1500 pies, 1500 dozen eggs, 1500 boxes of margarine, 1500 cans of green beans, 1500 boxes of stuffing and mashed potatoes, 1500 cans of cranberries sauce, and more.
And, you know what? 1500 families may have gotten a couple of bags of groceries, but, my friends and I got much more out of the experience than a traditional holiday meal.
We had the opportunity to see God in the eyes of those families. We saw humbleness, gratitude and joy in the eyes and smiles of those families. We saw dignity and pride, because they will be able to prepare and feed their family and friends in their own homes. For the people who came through our Operation Thanksgiving line today, I am truly grateful.
Okay, I'm exhausted, but I am truly grateful.

"Lord of all, to thee we raise, this our hymn of grateful praise." This is the best holiday of all. Thank you God for being with us through the good and the bad. We are survivors because you stand with us.

1 comment:

Dave said...

That's a whole lot of turkey! Those who give truely recieve...I believe it. Wishing you and Scott a great Thanksgiving!