Thursday, November 18, 2010

A is for ................

It's been a long, long, very long time, since I needed to draw on my Pre-school teaching skills. But, this week I was asked to fill in for an absent day-care worker at the mission.
I was just fine in the "diaper-change" arena. I excelled (this is my opinion, of course) in the "let's share the toys" category. However, I was a little rusty in "finger play and sing-along" instruction.
My first sing-along selection was " The Grand old Duke of York". It used to be so easy to get up and down from those "blessed little folk chairs". OMGolly, that was 40 years ago! Then I struggled through "My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean" (You jump up every time you say a B word).
Okay, Okay, I was panting by then!
My next shot was "finger play". Breathlessly, I attempted those. The kids, all 7 of them, were looking at me rather strangely by then. They were probably thinking, "Who is this crazy old lady, what in the name of Dora is she doing, and why is she bothering us?"
Egad. I could be a great-grandma! When did that happen????


Good God. Thank you for the stages of life. I love being my age. What a joy it is to remember being young and not having to be there any more.
The memories are great. The blessings of age are truly wonderful.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Maybe you should pick a song with less activity....I favor lullabies. Although I still get plenty of excercise with the piggy back rides and packing Ace around. (sometimes i think he has concrete in his shoes!)