Monday, September 20, 2010

"For a Few Dollars More"

After a full day in the classroom today, I attended a meeting on classroom management. I must admit, I wasn't too excited about going. Usually, these meetings consist of a twenty-something chicky telling me, "Okay, like you guys like really need to like focus on like being positive, like okay????" The last time I went to one of these meetings, the young presenter used the word OKAY, 73 times! That was NOT okay.
But, today, I am actually taking away some positive information and will attempt to use it in the classroom tomorrow.
Two video clips were used, as examples, at the presentation. One was Clint Eastwood, the tough spaghetti western gunfighter and the other was Sheriff Andy's deputy, Barney Fife.
Now, before you call the cops to report Mrs. Kincaid for packing a Colt 45, reflect on this. While Barney was hyper, over bearing, and screechy, Clint was calm, cool, controlled and stated clear choices. Albeit, it was make the right choice or your dead, but the choices were clear.
That's what I want to do. Be calm, cool, in control, and give the kids clear choices.

Understanding God. You really make my day. I think about my blessings and rejoice. Your love surrounds me as I try follow your commandments. Help me to make the right choices as I deal with your children of all ages.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I drive Crystal crazy by counting how many times she says the word "so" while having a phone conversation. Another friend can't take a breath without saying "anyway". I feel there are plenty of words in the English language...no need repeating the same one over and over.
I agree with your management course. If Dirty Harry had taught my science class I'd probably be launching rockets for NASA right now.