Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"It's too darn hot"

What can I say about the weather in Missouri? It's hot. It's really hot, and we are in the middle of a heat wave. My deck plants are fried. One of my little dwarf potted pines is bright orange.....cooked to the roots. Our lawn has turned a drab, bi-colored, shade of yellow-brown. It's August, and it's 100 degrees and rising.
One of my favorite pastimes, in the summer months, is complaining about the weather.
Actually, I can complain about the weather any time of year, but I excel at summer griping.
I whine about my deodorant failing and my underpants stinking to my rear end. I gripe about sweat dripping from my brow and my glasses fogging up from the humidity. I have all of the usual hot weather complaints down to an exact science.
But, does all of my whining do any good? Of course not. Middle son, tired of hearing my complaints, once told me...."Mom, you have a car. You could leave."
I guess I could, but where's the fun in that?

All knowing God. I hope you know that our complaining is superficial. We're not ungrateful, we are just natural whiners. We have it so good. It's hot but we have air-conditioned homes and cars. It's dry, but we have running water. We are blessed with so many of your gifts.
Thanks a bunch, God. We really love our lives.

No comments: