Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"Call Me MISTER Tibbs"

Are you a professional? Well, I've had a few experiences lately that have made me wonder about the quality of workers in this nation of ours.
What ever happened to pride in personal appearance? I see teachers and other professionals in tee shirts and ragged jeans, or pants that REALLY need hemming. Now,I know that a teacher doesn't make much money, but I do know that needles and thread are pretty darn(get it????)cheap.
Oh, and has Walmart stopped selling irons and mirrors? The wrinkled look may be in, but I sleep in less wrinkled clothes than what I'm seeing in the classroom these days. Do you teachers have to look like you just woke up, crawled to your car and drove to school?
Come on American Educators. The youth of today deserve better role models than what we are giving them. Casual doesn't mean crummy and dirty. No wonder "respect" is an issue in today's schools.
I expect students to call me, Mrs Kincaid. I am a professional and I always show up looking like one. And, you know what, I get respect.

Powerful God...You cared enough about us to send your very best. We should do our best with what you have given us. Pride in who we are, is not a bad thing. Be with us as we go about our daily lives. Help us to do our best in all that we do.

To read more of my rantings, this week, visit the www.kansascity.com website on Saturday August 21, for my article on the OPED page. Midwest Voices.

No comments: