Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Princess Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring

I remember studying about the process of POTLATCH, in a Social Studies class, sometime in my youth. Now, that's been a long time ago, but as I remember it, one or more native American tribes of the Northwest, practiced this method of giving away their possessions, and therefore kept what they personally owned to a minimum. After all, Native Americans did not have three bedroom teepees. or wickiups. Did they?

POTLATCH always included an elaborate ceremony of sort. The tribe shared food and danced as they celebrated something special, like a birth, death, wedding or a battle victory. Then the host family gave away their possessions.  Well, I don't think they actually gave away what they needed to survive. Just the EXTRA stuff a family accumulates in their daily life.

So, I've decided to do a 21st Century, non indigenous, unceremonious, old lady Potlatch. I'm getting rid of all my EXTRA stuff. I am scheduled for every "Big Trash" pick-up Kansas City, offers me. The local Thrift Stores have begun to recognize me. My friends and family, however, are starting to avoid me. I'm learning that one woman's treasure can be another person's trash!!!!! Giving away my treasure is not always a welcome gift.

But, I'm going to continue. If all else fails, I've purchased some "extra" bag stickers, so that I can put out, by the curb, more than my two-bag-week trash limit. 

.....................................................................................................................................................................

Dear Lord: Why do we think we need so much stuff? Shelter and food are really the basics. Thank You for giving us so much. Our lives are full. Help us to make good decisions.


1 comment:

Karen said...

And yesterday was Indigenous American's Day!