Tuesday, June 15, 2021

June Bugs

Today,  I did a little bit of research on Father's Day. The honoring of Father's goes back for centuries. Originally it was celebrated on March 19th, St. Joseph's Feast Day. Most countries, in this modern era, allot to Dad, a single Sunday in June, 

When our boys were young, most families with little ones, spent the day at Worlds of Fun (Kansas City's take on Disneyland). We never did that. The last place my husband wanted to be, was the amusement park on a 100 degree day, with hundreds of screaming youngsters, all but four of them, not his! He often spent His Day, directing a Church Choir, mowing the lawn, or grilling, for the family, on the deck. (Not really "taking it easy", but the rest of the family, appreciated his efforts.) 

Fathers take a lot of grief these days. They get blamed for crime....... because they are absent from the home. They get ridiculed and verbally abused..........because they are clueless, in Sit Coms and TV ads. Dads are even known for their terrible jokes! As a society, we seem to be pretty harsh, in our treatment of Fathers. 

Most of us have been fortunate to have had good fathers. My dad worked the night shift, to provide a nice home for his family. He was very handy with tools, but he could also fashion a reasonable Pony Tail hairdo, for his youngest daughter. He cooked lunch for us every day. One of his specialties was scrambled eggs and Bologna. He was far from perfect. I joke that I was seven or eight, before I realized that my name was not Domkop. But, there was even an element of love in that odd endearment. 

All Dads are remarkable, in one way or another. Their stories are different and their parenting styles are unique. Let's celebrate our Fathers and Substitute Fathers, every day. Don't focus on their short-comings and faults, but on the many things we have learned from them. 

Great and Holy Father. We are blessed. We remember You and Your Son. Happy Father's Day.






No comments:

Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...