Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Do you remember?

Soon, Scott and I will be heading to a reunion with our high school classmates. We have one of these reunions every five years, and we've been to almost all of them. They are fun, well planned, and we never fail to have a great time.
Our early reunions were full of "I'M doing this....." and "MY salary is ......." and  "I LIVE IN ...." Then, along about the 20th year reunion, things changed. Now, years later, nobody seems to care, what any of us has done in recent years, we just want to talk about what life had been like in the 1960's and before. Many of us have been friends since kindergarten, so our memories are rich and varied.
Most of our remembrances are fond ones. I'm so glad we have them.  Unfortunately, many of the people, with whom I share my work life, have memory loss. I find that very sad. That loss of memories takes all kinds of forms. Sometimes, folks cannot remember what they had for breakfast, or if they have even eaten. Others cannot remember who they are or what they have been. Thankfully, it seems like the long-term (what has happened many months or years previously) memory stays with us much longer than the short term memory. I believe that is God's purposeful wisdom.
Never regret your memories. They are all, good and bad, a part of our life's journey. Never take them for granted. We are blessed with our remembrances.

Dear Lord, we are so thankful for our many blessings. Help us to enjoy life and to love one another, unconditionally. May we be more like you.

No comments:

Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...