Friday, June 28, 2019

Just Don't!

One of the major rules, when dealing with folks who have memory issues is, DON'T ARGUE! Even if you know you are right, just DON'T ARGUE.
I found it difficult at first. Everyone, from age 18 months or so, wants to be right. And, I was no exception. Being right is empowering. We all want people to agree with us, at least some of the time. But, none of that matters, when you are dealing with Alzheimer's and Dementia.
If someone tells me that they are waiting for a ride at 3:00 p.m and it is currently 10 a.m., I may suggest that they will have a five hour wait. However, if they really want to sit and wait that long, then that's just what they can do.  But, honestly, most of them give up the wait, after an hour or two.
85 degrees, in my opinion, is way too warm for comfortable living. But, if someone else is comfortable at 85 degrees, who I am to argue with that. And, tomorrow, who knows? They may find that 85 degrees, is indeed, too warm.
I know that no one is going to come to the apartment of a 90 year old woman and steal her clothing. No one I know wants to be wearing the clothes of a ninety year old, unless it's another 90 year old. And, of course, they have their own clothing. But, I will promise that lady, that we will look at the security cameras, until we are cross-eyed, or until she suddenly remembers that she gave those things away several years ago.
I have learned to be very accommodating, and I try never, ever to argue. It just doesn't matter and it is a futile exercise.

Great and all powerful Lord. We are the recipients of many blessings. Growing old is a challenge. Help us to accept our shortcomings and focus on helping others live their lives to the fullest.


1 comment:

Nancy K. said...

Beautiful...as are you!

Older than Dirt

 Obsolete. More and more, my life is becoming obsolete. Because of my advancing age, things that I like to do and words that I choose, make ...