"What do you say, dear?"

My children had a book, when they were youngsters, that had the title, "What do you say, dear?" It was a cute little story with imaginative scenarios centered around that same question. And, the answers were standard responses like, "please", "thank you" and "you are welcome". The whole book was a cute and creative way to teach simple, good manners.
So, I'm wondering how can I translate this idea to a select group of senior citizens, who seem to have forgotten how to be polite?
When someone says to me, "Sign me up for the dance." I am tempted to say......"What do you say, dear ?", but, thus far I have refrained from using those words. And, when I obey their orders and sign them up, they just turn and walk away! Again, I am tempted to yell after them..."What do you say, dear?" But, of course I can't do that.
The customer is always right.
But, believe me, the customer isn't always nice.

Gracious and all forgiving Lord. Aging isn't for the weak. Teach us humility and grace. Remind us that we are your servants and that you wish us to serve graciously. We praise your holy name.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll be with you, Shortly.

"Ain't It Funny, how time slips away?"

Dos (As in the number two)