No Rhyme or Reason

I used to be under the impression that teenagers were the largest "risk taking" age group. That was before I started working with octogenarians. My 80-100 year old friends make most teens look like wimps.
Today, for example, I encountered a smallish lady attempting to open her mailbox, which was located over her head. She had her mailbox key on a lanyard, which remained hanging on her neck. "Wait", I said, "let me help you. You are going to hang yourself, in this very mail room." She didn't respond, so I told her not to worry. I would be happy to cut down her body.
And, this morning, a man was pushing his wife, who was seated on her walker, backwards, down the hall. There is a sign, posted on every walker, do not use this device for transportation. But, he was doing it anyway. Having warned him of the danger, previously, I just shook my head, in disbelief.
Oh, and every day, I observe people who cannot see and cannot hear, yet they continue to believe that they are perfectly able to drive a car!
Then, there are the folks who carry canes. They don't actually use them, they just carry them in case they need them. Apparently, on the way down to the ground, as they fall face first, my elderly friends  will just stick out that cane and keep themselves upright! Delusional!
The only way that I can possibly justify such risky behavior, is that older folks are no longer fearful, so they will do anything, regardless of the consequences.
I do my best to keep them safe, but I'm only a youngster, in my seventies. What do I know?

Dear Lord. Keep us safe and watch over us, in spite of our stupid behavior. We can still learn from Your words and examples. Guide our feet. We ask these things in Your Holy Name.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll be with you, Shortly.

"Ain't It Funny, how time slips away?"

Dos (As in the number two)