Sunday, March 11, 2018

HOW?

In 1952, a brand new tourist destination opened in Afton, Oklahoma. Not too long after the grand opening, no more than a year or two, my family made an afternoon drive, down to see this "new" attraction.
Buffalo Ranch Oklahoma was quite a draw. I remember being awe struck. There were several buildings, including a Western Store, a Dairy Ranch for ice cream treats, and of course lots of penned American Bison, or what we all call buffalo. I think we must have had something cool to eat or drink, because it was Summer and that was long before anyone had even heard of air conditioned cars. I think that I looked all over for Indians, but I don't remember seeing any. I was fascinated by Indians, but because I was always looking for the "painted and feathered kind", I never saw them. There may have been a pony ride concession, too.
Just like many such stops along the famous Route 66, Buffalo Ranch has changed. None of the original structures are standing. In 2002, the last remnants of the Ranch, were torn down, to make room for a typical highway convenience store.
However, the buffalo are still there. Penned up,looking fairly bedraggled and bored. They may be descendents of the same herd that I viewed 65 years ago.
Some things never change.

Dear Lord. Our memories are a part of our present lives. What happened years ago, makes us what we are today. Help us to learn from our past and lead us toward brighter futures.
We praise your Holy Name.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Thank you for taking your pen in hand once again.
I've missed your comments and reflections---they are
always special in more ways than one.