Saturday, January 13, 2018

I'm not sayin'............

Recently, I attended a memorial service, in honor of an old friend. The service was well planned and as is customary these days, the family had a chance to speak about their love for their relative. The music was nice. There were an appropriate number of folks in attendance. All in all, it was a fitting tribute to a long-lived, well-remembered member of the community.
There was one glaring problem. The deceased, who had long been a member of the church, where the service was held, was elderly. She had been unable to attend the church for several years, due to mobility issues.
The pastor, who no doubt is a fine preacher and gentleman, did not know the deceased. He did the best he could with the information given to him, by the family. But, he mispronounced her given name, throughout the entire service. Well, as you can imagine, that detracted quite a bit from what was otherwise a fine funeral.
I shouldn't have let it bother me. After all, the deceased had a name that could have been pronounced in the way the pastor said. Only, he was wrong....dead wrong. And, everyone knew! It was cringe worthy.
Please remember, that when my time comes, and I realize my soul will not be there to hear it, that my name is NAN-SEE.

Holy Lord. You know us by many other ways than just our given names. You know each of us by our thoughts and our work. Remember us, as we remember Your loving and all powerful ways. Jesus, let me live for You and die for You.

No comments: