Monday, August 21, 2017

Heart and Sol

It rained in the Heartland today. Normally, that would have been just fine. However, today was "Total Solar Eclipse Day". It's been approximately 100 years since our area had the last one. And it will be about that long until the next one occurs.We have been planning for this day for several weeks. And, hundreds of thousands of people were expected to descend upon St. Joseph, Missouri, which was one of the larger towns in the path of the Total Eclipse. St. Joseph, just about 50 miles North of here, has been known, here to fore, as the starting point of the Pony Express, and the place where Jesse James was shot in the back, by a coward named Howard.
Last week, I sold Eclipse Glasses. One pair to a customer. As I neared the end of my stash, one lady came to buy a pair. She paid the required one dollar. "Where," she asked, "were we going to hold to hold the Eclipse Event." I hesitated and then said, "uhhh.....Outside." "Well, I don't want to go outside," she replied. I just smiled. My allotment of specs was sold out in two days. By Friday, they were are gone. Every place in town was also sold out.
When I arrived at my desk today, Monday, it was already crowded, with late-coming potential buyers. I had to turn the folks away. "What can we do?" they asked. I said, "Don't look at the Sun."
As eleven o'clock approached, the sky had already dumped a couple of inches of rain. One lady came to my desk to ask....will they still have the Eclipse if it rains? Uh....yes, I replied.
The skies became cloudless just long enough for the shadow to pass over the Sun, until only a small sliver remained. Then, unfortunately the sky clouded up and it poured down rain. We didn't actually get to see Totality.
One lady was extremely disappointed. The Sun was so small, she complained. "I expected it to get a lot larger." I tried to offer her hope, "Maybe next time."
The whole event came to a sputtering and soggy end, but the day was saved by a former colleague who called and asked .....How does the Man in the Moon cut his hair?????
How??? He clips it! (cymbal crash)

Precious Lord. Sometimes once is enough. Guide my feet Lord, while I run this race. I need your help and steadfast Love.

No comments: