Monday, December 12, 2016

Addicted

I have a confession to make.
I believe I have developed an addiction to Christmas movies. So much so, that I have been staying up, way past my bedtime, just to watch them on the Hallmark Channel.
The Christmas movies on the Hallmark Channel all feature pretty much the same story. Beautiful young girl meets handsome young man. They fall for each other. Problems develop, but everything is always resolved by the end of the movie. Very predictable, easy to watch and non-thought provoking.
But, it's just not the Hallmark movies that I must watch, at this time of year. I have to see "The Grinch", Frosty the Snowman", "Christmas Story", at least one "Home Alone", "Miracle on 34th Street" (I prefer the Natalie Wood version), and even "Meet Me In St. Louis" (only because I love to hear Judy Garland sing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".....(it makes me tear up every single time I see it). I've seen every possible version of  Dickens'  A Christmas Carol", and I have loved every one. The story is timeless.
My favorite Christmas Movie is probably "Holiday Inn", which features Bing Crosby, introducing the song, "White Christmas." It's terrible un-PC, but I enjoy seeing it every year. In order to see it, I have had to purchase my own copy.  The networks would probably get fined for showing it. Sometimes, they will show "White Christmas", but, in my humble-sort-of-expert opinion, it's just a showcase to have Crosby sing the song again. "Holiday Inn" is the masterpiece!
As far as addictions go, I'm not looking to cure myself. By January 1st, I'll have had my fill.......until next year.

Good and gracious Lord. Thank you for Christmas and all that it brings to us. As we go about doing all of the things that make this a special season, let us always keep the reason for this season in our hearts and on our minds.

No comments: