Thursday, February 25, 2016

"Whenever I walk in a London Street."

I am a reader-kind of person. My earliest memories involve trips to the Public Library in the small town where I grew up. My mother read to me. My much older sister read to me and I read a lot of books at an early age. Books were great entertainment.
Besides reading a lot of borrowed books from the library, we owned some books that were all given to us by our Aunt Anna. Anna gave us great books, over our growing up years. We had copies of lots of children's classics. We had beautifully illustrated volumes of Robinson Crusoe, The Tales of King Arthur, and The Yearling. Really good children's literature worth keeping.
But, the Aunt Anna book that I still have, the one I that I continue to read to my grandchildren, is the Better Homes and Gardens Story Book, published in the late 1940s. It's been out of print for years, due in part to the fact that a couple of the stories are definitely politically incorrect. Because of its advanced age, my copy has torn and folded pages. But, thankfully none of the pages are missing.
One of the poems, found in this old book, is by A.A. Milne. Originally published in the volume, When We Were Very Young,  "Lines and Squares" has only about 18 lines. I can recite it without missing a word. (I am a memorizer-kind of person, as well.) And, this particular little poem, is responsible, more than any other thing I can think of, for forming my moral character and personality.
 You see, according to Milne, "it's ever so 'portant how you walk." You simply must follow the rules of life and walk in the squares.
"And, it's ever so jolly to call out," Bears. Just watch me walking in all the squares!" has always given me strength and confidence.

Great Lord. We are influnced by many things. As we travel on our life's journey, may we be influenced by worthwhile things. We never know who we influence. Let those whom we influence be led to greater and more meaningful lives. We ask these things in your great and all powerful name.

No comments: