Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Misnomer

My much older sister wanted to name me, Jane. Jane was the main character in the book she was reading at the time. She was a first grader, and Dick and Jane, of course, was what all first graders were reading. Instead, I was named Nancy.
The story, as I remember it, was that my mother was enamored by the way a relative pronounced the simple name of Nancy. She drew it out, giving it a couple of extra syllables. Maybe sort of like Naaaaa-yannnnn-ceeeee. My mother thought the name Jane was just too plain.
But, over the years, there have been many famous Janes. Jane Seymour, Jane Austen, Jane Eyre, Jane Adams,  Jane Fonda and Mary Jane shoes just to name a few. There haven't been very many famous Nancys. I can only think of a couple. There was Nancy Hanks (Think Abraham Lincoln), the two Nancy Sinatras (Think Frank), and Nancy Reagan (Think Ronald).
The name Nancy just doesn't stand by itself in history. Nancy has to be tied to some other, much more famous  person.
I think I must have been mis-named.
However, if my sister had  been able to choose my name, the name of this Blog would not have been "Nansense". It might have been just "Nonsense".

Great and powerful God. Draw us closer to you. Guide our thoughts and our deeds. Help us to follow your word and do your will. We can change who we are, but we cannot deny whose we are. Show us how to follow you,




No comments: