Sunday, January 3, 2016

Want a Date?

A new year! A new start! I am looking forward to all kinds of new things.
Starting today, in this brand new year, I feel the need to encourage all of the oldsters and youngsters to start dating. Yes, dating.
Take a Sharpie or other kind of marker and start writing the date of purchase on your stuff. I'm finding, as I get older, that I often cannot remember when an item was purchased.
Take for example the Blood Pressure Cuff my spouse just bought. His doctor told him that our old one might need a replacement (faulty readings, etc.), and sure enough it did.
But, when did we purchase the old one? Five years ago, ten years ago? Who can remember?
Just how old is our mattress? Perhaps by noting the dates of purchase we can estimate the life of the object and replace it before it dies for good?
When did we last replace the smoke alarm batteries? The water heater?I could go on and on.
Age matters, I think.
Sometimes I can't even remember who I am and where I am going......or why?
I think that dating things might help.

Kind and all-knowing Lord. We are funny creatures. I know we have too much stuff, but we have it and we must choose to use it wisely. We need to be good stewards of our world.
Watch over us and guide us.

No comments: