Thursday, May 22, 2014

Could you repeat that, please?

A good part of my afternoon was spent speaking with a knowledgeable "support representative" from a major technology company. I ended up actually speaking with this "support representative" after I was unable to download some material from an Internet site. I called for help.
I admit that I am techno-deficient. Some of my inability to cope with the latest electronics has to do with my age and the rest of my stupidity has to do with the fact that I apparently need not only written, but spoken directions and hands on manipulation to understand things fully.
The young woman, with whom I spent my afternoon, was from a county other than Middle USA. I did have some difficulty understanding what she was trying to tell me. I had to keep asking her to repeat what she had just said. AND, she kept using terms like USB and Analog Telephone Line. She kept telling me I needed a blue cord, and I didn't have one. Then she wanted me to put that blue cord into the fax machine port. I didn't have a fax machine, either. More than once, I had to say...I have no idea what you are talking about, madam.
Finally, she gave up on me and suggested that I stay on the line to schedule a maintenance call. Tomorrow, I'll welcome the maintenance person, with open arms and an open mind. Hopefully, he or she can teach me how to get the information I want and improve my knowledge and skills so that I can successfully learn how to download what I need next time. I intend to take copious notes...in long hand, and then use my handwritten notes to improve my 21st Century computer skills.

Dear God, help me to be all that I can possible be. I yearn to appreciate what I know and what I don't know. Guide me and allow me to use the skills that you have given me. Show me how to use my gift and graces to do your will. I am truly blessed.

No comments: