Saturday, November 30, 2013

Enough Already.

Too much Thanksgiving and its tasty remains have left me in a sluggish state. I only seem to be able to move from the table to the couch to the bed, in no particular order. Thanksgiving weekend does it to me every year. Last night, while staring at some inane rerun on early-night TV, I saw myself in a commercial.
Perhaps this phenomena has happened to you. Hopefully, you see yourself as the recipient of the Bow-Covered Mercedes or the proud new owner of the matching set of (every Kiss begins with K) diamond earrings. Maybe you picture yourself in the snow covered mountain retreat sipping bubbly surrounded by loving family and friends, while ringing in the New Year. Or, you could be the most interesting person in the world, drinking unpronounceable Mexican beer, in a remote exotic bar.
Moi???? I was in a US Postal Service Commercial. Maybe you've seen it? The mom of the family is talking, by phone, to the long-distance Grandma. "Yes", the mom says, "we received your Christmas package." The scene changes to the Christmas tree, the dog, the lamp, the couch, the father, etc., totally encased in knitted attire.
The grandma (me) continues......"I just kept knitting and knitting until I filled the (one price for shipping) box. It was such a bargain." Then a head-to-toe sweater covered child inquires...."Is that NANA?"
OM Golly. That is totally me. Two years ago I made EVERYONE of my family and friends stocking caps. Last year, all of the ladies, on my list,  received crocheted shawls. Another year it was baby blankets and afghans.
I must be stopped. Enough is enough, But, what am I going to do with the 25 dish cloths, pretty pink tutu (my granddaughter is very frilly), two scarves and 12 tote bags that I have already completed?

Dear Sensible God: Why do we over-do? When will we learn that one is usually enough. Help us to keep a blanket (O Lord, forgive that very bad pun.) on our craziness and listen to reason. Sometimes less is the best.
You are our anchor in times of doubt and fear.
Keep us wrapped (oh my) in your protective arms.
We are so very thankful for your steadfast love.
Amen.

No comments: