Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Hallmark Moment

My mother had a saying that she used frequently when she meant something was not going to happen. She only said it when she really wanted to emphasize the importance of her conviction.
So, I'm going to use it here, with the same vehemence.

"Hell will freeze over", when I go shopping on Black Friday.

There you go folks. I won't be shopping on the Friday after Thanksgiving, or even on Thanksgiving afternoon or evening. You will not catch me darkening the door of any retail establishment. NO. Not going to do it! Not this year. Not any year.
I sincerely ask you, what is wrong with the people of this country that they choose to use the very day set aside for Thanks Giving, as a day to push, shove and run around trying to find a bargain? What could be such a great deal, that causes us to leave our homes and family (the stuff we all say we are  thankful for) just to save a few bucks?
Count me way, way, out.
What happened to the joy of finding just the right presents for those you love? Where is the love when you say, "Look at this, honey. Here's that great deal I found for you. I don't care whether you wanted it or not. It was a bargain and I had to be at the store on Black Friday at 5 a.m., to get it. Pushed three old ladies out of the way to grab it.  Now, you better like it. It was really cheap!"
Oh, don't have a retail hissy fit.  I'm still going to be doing my regular Christmas shopping. And, I am aware that there are fewer shopping days, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, this year. But, I will buy thoughtfully and carefully. Choosing the gift, for each person on my list, with deliberation.  I believe the real reason that you "gift" someone, is that you want to give them a tangible token of your love for them. 
The Magi.......the historic reason we give Christmas Gifts........weren't bringing Jesus a bargain. They brought the best that they had.

Dear Precious Lord: We should care enough to send our very best to you. After all you were the greatest Christmas Gift ever. All honor and glory are yours, forever.

No comments: