Saturday, October 12, 2013

Short People got.....

Just the other day, I entered into a serious discussion regarding chairs. My employer asked me what type of desk chair I would prefer to use in my new cubicle?
Now, that might seem like a very easy question to answer. Many folks might reply brown or black. They would choose either slick upholstery or nubby. Some might even ask for leather, or more likely "pleather" these days. Most people prefer a black metal or silver toned frame for their chair.
Me?.....I replied, "Small and adjustable, please."
You see, I am vertically challenged. I'm shorter than the average American. I do not do TALL chairs! I avoid going to restaurants that have those fashionable, taller-than-average-tables. When faced with that type of seating, I can almost always climb up onto those tall stools by myself, but I have a really hard time dismounting, without assistance.
And, I don't like deep booths. That's a different type of chair challenge for shorties. Deep booths are built for tall people. My legs stick out straight and my feet don't touch the floor in that style of booth. (Think of a toddler on a regular chair.) Not only do I find them uncomfortable, there is something slightly off-putting about not having your feet on the floor. In a deep chair or booth, I must sit on the edge, never relaxing, in order to touch the floor with my toes.
In both of those seating situations, I often think about how I would not be able to hurriedly unseat myself, and run for the door. I can imagine the headlines now. "Short Lady Stuck on Stool".
So, I asked for small and adjustable. Kind of like myself.

Gracious Lord. Our lives are full of challenges and adjustments. It is the rare time that our published and carefully thought out plans are played out just like we hoped they would be.  Give us strength and courage. Keep us ever mindful that whatever happens, You are always with us. We open ourselves to you and your plans for us.

No comments: