Thursday, October 3, 2013

"All of me. Why not take all of me?"

Have you ever heard the statement that women are more skilled at multi-tasking than men. Men are supposed to be more single-minded than women. Men are supposed to be able to accomplish only one thing at a time. While women, it is said, can manage to do several things, equally well, at the same time.
My vast experience seems to speak to the truth of the above mentioned statements.
Take for example, someone I know quite well, who just happens to be a male. That someone can create a marvelous cream pie. I'm talking about 3 inch high meringue on top of a tasty cream filling. Or, the same person can make delicious chicken enchiladas or a spectacular pepperoni chicken entree. But, that same talented cook has a very difficult time creating an entire meal, let alone the meal and the clean-up afterward.
That fact noted, women often take their ability to multi-task to limits they should never attempt. I had a friend who damaged her eye quite severely, because she tried to apply mascara while driving in rush hour traffic. That was way before everyone had cell phones. Who knows what would have happened if she had been putting on eye make-up, while talking and driving, to boot?
I have a good friend who watches TV, while she talks to me on the phone. I never have her full attention. To me, it is very obvious that I'm getting only 1/4 of her awareness. She is listening to me with one ear, watching TV with both of her eyes and listening to the program with her other ear.
My multi-tasking takes a less dangerous path. I like to crochet, while I watch TV. Of course, while I hear 100% of the program, I only see about 50% of the same show. I also like to check my email, while I let my nail polish dry. Truthfully, my computer key board is a bit messy. Hot pink polish really highlights a black keyboard!
Maybe, multi-tasking is not all it is cracked up to be.

Great God. It is entirely possible that we would be much better off if we really gave 100% of our time and effort to the task at hand. Life would so much more intense. Prayers would be so much more heart felt. Help us to get it right.
We honor You, when we allow You to come into our whole being.
We praise You, Lord.
 

No comments: