Monday, August 13, 2012

Double Dipping

On Fridays, I sometimes travel downtown to meet my friend for lunch. My friend works in one of those 30 story, multipurpose office/bank buildings. The lobby is large and the entrance has both revolving doors and standard opening-type doors.
I arrived a bit early last week, so I sat on a bench and watched the passing pedestrian traffic. Lunch time in a big city is a very busy time.
Now, everyone has heard how dangerous it is to text and drive, but  from what I witnessed, no one thinks it's almost as dangerous to text and walk. Most of the folks who walked through that lobby weren't just walking, they were also texting, checking email on their phones or, at the least, doing something that distracted them from the main thing that they were doing.......walking.
In the few minutes that I waited, I saw numerous "near misses" as texting walkers passed each other on the way in and out of the building. And, two thumb-taskers actually collided, right in front of where I was seated. I also watched the revolving door "catch" a young man who couldn't focus on three things at once.
Thank goodness the lobby didn't have a reflecting pool or fountain , or a few folks would have spent the rest of the afternoon a bit damp. 

Oh Lord: Why are we in such a hurry? Our lives are too short to be rushing through them. Life is not a race. We don't get a bonus for coming to the end, FIRST! Show us how to enjoy life. Our lives are full of great and simple pleasures. You are so gracious to us, allowing us to expeience so many wonderful things.
Thank you, God, for putting us in this marvelous world.

No comments: