Thursday, December 9, 2010

"Open my eyes, that I might see..."

For the past week, I have been very busy preparing for the distribution of gifts, groceries, toys, and clothes for Operation Santa Claus. Volunteers and staff, at the Mission, have been caught up in the purchasing and wrapping of 1600 this and 1600 that. We are determined to make sure that we have enough items for every member of our 1600 client families.
We have wrapped 1600 pair of gloves for women, 1600 pair of gloves for men, and the same number of note cards, manicure sets, socks, and calendars. Then we have bagged up sweat shirts and pants, underwear and socks for 3000 kids. A company donated 500 teenager bags.
the numbers are overwhelming. Toy donations are steadily coming in. We have been so busy.
So, I am tired and more than a little testy, after over a week of preparation. My Holiday Sprit is wearing thin.
Then today, I met Phu, a student at a local college who came in to do some "required" volunteer work. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw that he worked very hard packing the grocery bags for our clients.
Later, as we rested, I thanked him for coming in today. He said, "I am glad I came in. You know, this means a lot to me. I am an immigrant and we had Christmas, when I was a child, because of a mission just like this."

God, I am so humbled by your goodness. Thank you for putting me in a place where I can meet people like Phu. My blessings are great. Help me to keep my eyes and my heart open.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I wrap about 4 gifts a year and think I've conquered the world! I can't imagine putting together such a big inventory. But I can imagine what a big impact in has on the lives of those who recieve. (and give) Merry Christmas to the Kincaids!