Monday, February 15, 2010

"Blessed be the name...."

Scott and I have a new grandson. His given name, Leo, was kept a secret until his birth last Wednesday. I have never known anyone named Leo, but I think it is just the greatest guy name ever.
What is a name anyway? In biblical times, your name was more than what you were called. It was your word, your being, your soul, your truth. That's why when you envoked a curse in God's name, it was a sin.
I don't imagine that we think about the importance of names these days. I mean, Nancy is a pretty lame moniker, but my much older sister, a first grader when I was born, wanted to name me Jane, for goodness sake. Both of those names just smack of the nineteen forties!
Well, believe me when I tell you that I run across the strangest names when I call the roll at school. In the last month I have had a "Jza" and a "Pashantz" (Pronounced Ja sha, and Patience). I think their parents were just thinking unusual.......not profoundness, don't you? Then just last week I heard of a "I'munique". (would I blog a lie???? For Real.)
All knowing Lord. You know each of us by our given name. We know that we are all are unique in your eyes. We are all your children. You believe in our abilities. Help us to do honor to our names by our actions and thoughts. We ask these things in the name of Jesus.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Congrats on Leo! A fine name indeed.