Tuesday, December 29, 2009

"What are you doing....?"

I don't know about you, but the ice and snow kept us from going to church on Christmas Eve. The weather was awful and churches were closing by the dozen. We stayed in and watched a couple of old movies. Then, we ended up postponing our Christms Day activites until Saturday, when the kids could get here from across the river. A young friend from Kearney, Onikah Glenn-Whitford, shoveled out of her driveway Christmas morning, made it to the city, but ended up staying with us until Sunday morning.
The Kincaids are troopers, so we were able to make the most of an unusual situation and, believe me, everything came out just fine. But darn it, I missed church. I missed the prayers, the carols, getting dressed up and greeting everyone. I even missed the soloist singing "O Holy Night" (and that's my least favorite carol). I missed the lights, the communion, and the stillness of the drive to and from. It's such a special time.
I'm thinking, folks, that we don't really appreciate something until you can't have it. Until it can't be had. We should all be thankful for the special places where we worship. Come Hell or Holy Water, we are going to church on Sunday, somewhere. I can hardly wait.

No comments: