Saturday, November 28, 2009

Turkey Trot

In spite of the drizzle, spirits were hight at Della Lamb Community Services last Tuesday, the 24th. I had been waiting 12 months for this day. When I arrrived, at 8 a.m., people were already lined up around the corner of the Mabee Gym. Pat, our Board President, was busy handing our doughnuts and hot chocolate to the clients as they waited patiently in line. Rushing inside, I joined the other volunteers who were making last minute additions to the 1500 sacks of groceries lined up on the floor and on tables.
At nine we allowed the first people into the room. Volunteers helped move the families through the line, giving out groceries and a turkey to each, for their Thanksgiving Dinner. Over half of the Lamb's clients do not speak English. So, with heads nodding in thanks and a lot of gesturing, we experienced Operation Thanksgiving. For many of them, it would be there first holiday in the U.S.A.
People came through the line steadily until about 2 p.m. By then I was exhausted, but it was that really nice kind of exhaustion, when you know you have been doing the Lord's work.
I am so thankful for the mission of Della Lamb, and for Judy and her staff. I'm also thrilled and thankful that my Kearney UMC friends Kevin, Rick, Pam, Betty, Lisa, Fred, and Kate, were there to work at the Lamb with me. Special thanks to Eph Ehley and his pals from COR. We all went away truly blessed for the experience.

No comments: