Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I Saw the Light.

Yesterday, our trusty handyman came to install a couple of new lights in our old 50's ranch house. One of the drawbacks to owning what is fashionably called a "mid-century dwelling" is that things die very ungraceful deaths. The light at the bottom of our basement stairs stopped operating one day last month. Click! Just like that.
We decided that we needed to replace that one and while we were at it, we would have a second light added at the top of our basement stairs. It was definitely a safety issue. Along with those two fixtures, I wanted a new light-fan in the hall bathroom.
Well, today I have light. Lots of light. And, with the new sources of light, I can see "all things new." Or should I say, lots of old things in a new way. The carpet on the stairs is filthy. I could weave a new rug with the cobwebs that I am seeing for the first time. The bathroom is in dire need of a new coat of paint and the towels are beginning to show their age. I'm not even going to talk about the old lady who stared back at me in the mirror this morning!
There is of course a purpose to this musing. When we finally choose to see life in the light of the Lord, so much is made clear to us. Scripture, reason, tradition, and experience become the way.
Precious Lord: Take my hand and show what needs to be done. I want to do it in your name. Amen.

1 comment:

MO Conference UMW said...

Darn. The 24th is a Tuesday, right? If it were Wednesday, the Mayeaux's would volunteer. The Lamb is a wonderful place for those who want to work in mission.