Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Take Time......

Take the time today to be thankful. I know that sounds awfully simplistic, but with all of the stuff that we do every day, it is easy to forget to be truly thankful.
My first chore this morning was to visit the Imaging for Women Clinic for my annual mammogram. It's the third anniversary of my breast cancer diagnosis and I'm very thankful that these nice people found that lump three years ago and because of their expertise, and the grace of God.....I am alive. PTL!!
My second task was to check my email. An old friend sent me the on-line link to an obituary of a fine gentlemen. He was a former junior high and high school teacher of mine back in Pittsburg, Kansas. Ernie Nelson was a tough teacher, but we kids all knew he was dedicated to his profession. The obit said he was 97 years young, and although I had not seen him for years, I can still remember the words of 2 plaques that hung on his classroom wall. the first plaque was the "Wise Old Owl". (The wise old owl sat in an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke. The less he spoke, the more he heard. Why can't we be like that wise old bird?) Oh, my life would be so much easier if I would listen more.
The second plaque was longer, but the message began with the words "He who knows not," etc, and ends with "he who knows and knows that he knows is wise, follow him." Wonderful advice from a wise man.
I am thankful today for Ernie Nelson and for all of those who have guided me in my path. God is good.....every day.

No comments: