Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mr. Israel

Some of you know that I am a Professional Substitute Educator by profession. I'm in Middle and High School Classrooms in the North Kansas City School District two to three times a week. Lots of kids from age 12-19 know me as that crazy little old lady substitute. Actually, I prefer to be labeled as the "substitute from Hell".
Most school subjects, at any level, can be taught by an experienced substitute. I will teach everything on the schedule EXCEPT woodworking (no teenagers with sharp objects) and boy's gym (smelly sweaty boys).
So last Tuesday, I was assigned a morning of business classes at Oak Park High School. One of the classes was an upper level computer programming class. This class had a teacher's assistant who was so helpful to the other students, it was hard to believe that he himself was a high school student. I was really impressed by his patience, his knowledge of computers and his encouraging manner to the entire group.
In talking with the young man, I learned that he was a senior and he plans on attending JUCO in Moberly this Fall. AND, that he is the son of a UM Pastor. What a plesure it was working with him. I just know that he is headed for grand and glorious things.
Thank you Rev.David Israel and wife for raising such a terrific kid!

No comments: